by Tony Novak, CPA, MBA, MT updated February 19, 2015
You can take care of your paperless income tax return filing today without ever leaving your home, buying software, or even logging onto a web site. The process can be handled If you expect a refund, you could have the process started as soon as tomorrow. Using an online accountant is easier and faster because you don't have to set up an online account or learn how to use self filing system.
Here are the easy step-by-step instructions for how to use me to file your tax return:
1. Call, or send an email/text message. I need the obvious basic information to get started: your name and how to reach you.
2. Return the authorization forms that I send. An electronic signature is usually acceptable. Also send a copy of your last year's tax return along with your W2 and any Form 1099s you may have received. Documents are best if scanned on a desktop scanner but a clear cell phone photo might also work.
3. I will call to review the tax return details. Expect this on the same day or the next business day unless we agree otherwise. If you have any questions or concerns about the proposed work, make sure that you get a complete and satisfactory answer. In some cases I may ask for additional required documents.
4. Pay the invoice for tax return preparation online. Any method of payment (other than cash) is acceptable. The fee depends on the forms prepared but the most common fee is $195. My fee is more than the Freefile self-serve systems but less than the large commercial tax return preparation services. The expanded fee schedule is posted here.
5. If you owe any tax, determine how you will pay. Manual or electronic check, regular check or and debit or credit account card is acceptable to the IRS.
6. If you will receive a refund, indicate how you want that payment made to you. Status of the refund can be tracked from the IRS link that I will provide.
7. Review your copy of the completed tax return and save it for your records. Discuss any questions and make sure that you are satisfied with the responses. Remember that in the event of an error you and not the accountant are responsible for the taxes due. A paper copy is available on request.
8. Keep a copy of the electronic filing receipt. The federal tax return is filed electronically. The state tax return is filed electronically is that service is available in your state. Local tax returns, if any are filed electronically if that service is available where you live. Otherwise the returns are filed by mail.
9. If you receive any mail later from the IRS or a late-arriving tax form, send me a copy immediately.
Other tax filing resourses are posted on my 2015 tax information screen.
Opinions expressed are the solely those of the author and do not represent the position of any other person, company or entity mentioned in the article. Information is from sources believed to be reliable but cannot be guaranteed. Any accounting, business or tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended as a thorough, in-depth analysis of specific issues or a substitute for a formal opinion, nor is it sufficient to avoid tax-related penalties. Tony Novak operates as an independent adviser under the trademarks "Freedom Benefits", "OnlineAdviser" and "OnlineNavigator" but is not a representative, agent, broker, producer or navigator for any securities broker dealer firm, federal or state health insurance marketplace or qualified health plan carrier. He has no financial position in any stocks mentioned. Novak does work as an accountant, agent, adviser, writer, consultant, marketer, reviewer, endorser, producer, lead generator or referrer to other companies including the companies listed in the articles on this web site.