Is is shocking and horrifying to read that 48 United States Republican Senators and the president of the United States have pledged their vote to a secret proposed legislative scam known as the ‘Graham-Cassidy bill’ that:
- They have not seen or read
- Is not available in written form for public review
- Can only be passed if the details are kept secret from the public
- Can only be passed in the next ten days
- Has not been reviewed by the Congressional Budget Office
- Slashes funding for Medicare and Medicaid
- Removes protections for pre-existing medical conditions
- Would allow insurance companies to charge surcharges that the insurers say could be $50,000 per year
- Would create chaos for Americans with 50 new sets of health care laws
- Would encourage consumer fraud from “forum shopping” like we had prior to ACA since every state’s laws would be different
- Caused the cancellation of productive bi-partisan health care reform planning work
- Would be devastating to the core group of Trump supporters
- Is supported by a group of about 15 Republican governors eager to grab health care money from the federal government
- Can best be described as a last minute ‘hail Mary’ political move by the Republican party
Health care law is literally a matter of life and death for millions of Americans. It controls about 17% of the US economy. Rushing a secret bill through Congress in the next ten days that the large portion of Americans clearly do not support would be a shameful breach of public trust and abuse of power by our government.
America desperately needs health care reform. This is clearly not the way to accomplish it.
The GOP are traitors to our country. Americans deserve excellent health care insurance at affordable rates.